Friday, January 16, 2009
Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - first 3 albums (@flac)
Child of the Novelty + Maxoom + Strange Universe
first 3 albums on 2 CDs
"Frank Marino (Francesco Antonio Marino), born November 20, 1954 in Montreal, is the guitarist and leader of Canadian hard rock band Mahogany Rush.
The band had its peak of popularity in the 1970s and toured extensively playing such venues as California Jam II together with bands such as Aerosmith and Heart. Marino is still active; as of 2008, recording and touring under his own name and has also been involved in blues recordings with other artists as well.
* To explain the name, Mahogany Rush, Marino says, "In fact, the mental condition (the acid trip) that became my daily life in my early teens, was due to having taken psychedelic drugs to the point of being hospitalized, and that condition produced, eventually, the name or term "mahogany rush", so in a way it was "related" to the drugs themselves. But it was more related to the mental experience. Mahogany Rush was, basically, the only way I could describe a certain aspect of that "trip" to others who couldn't understand it at the time, and still can't really do so now."
* Early on in his career, it was stated in the music press that he claimed to be the reincarnation of Jimi Hendrix, a claim stemming from Marino's playing style being similar to Hendrix'. This claim was dismissed by Marino himself as falsified information created by the press and he has continued to forge a style of his own through the 1970s up to present day. This is discussed in-depth on the MySpace page for Frank Marino & Mahagony Rush.
* Marino started to record his first album, "Maxoom", when he was only 16.
* Frank Marino has three daughters.
* When he quit music business in 1993 he supported his family by building computers. After returning to record and perform, his wife Denise took over the computer business.
* Frank Marino is Orthodox Christian.
* The Song: "Something's Coming Our Way" is about expectation of a day in which we all need to come in terms with our way of life and how we have spent our time here and the fact that we have to understand that the day of judgment that we refer to being someday in the future is in fact upon us at the moment.
* Frank Marino is the uncle of the guitarist and songwriter Danny Marino of the melodic death metal band The Agonist.
* 1972 Maxoom
* 1974 Child of the Novelty
* 1975 Strange Universe
* 1976 Mahogany Rush IV
* 1977 World Anthem
* 1978 Live
* 1979 Tales Of The Unexpected
* 1980 What's Next
* 1981 The Power of Rock & Roll
* 1982 Juggernaut
* 1987 Full Circle
* 1988 Double Live
* 1990 From The Hip
* 1997 Dragonfly-Best of Mahogany Rush
* 2000 Eye of the Storm
* 2003 RealLIVE!
Other recordings and collections
* 1978 California jam II
* 1980 Fit for A.King
* 1988 Metal giants(Collection-Various artists)
* 1990 Guitar Speak II
* 1993 Hats off to Stevie Ray
* 1997 Bryan Lee:Live at the old absinthe house bar Friday night
About this release:
1995 release on Big Beat featuring the first three albums bythis Hendrix-influenced Canadian heavy trio, includingthe first legitimate appearance on CD of their rare & often bootlegged 1973 debut album 'Maxoom'. The other two albums are 1974's 'Child Of The Novelty' & 1975's 'Strange Universe'. 30 tracks total, all taken from the original master tapes.
CD 1 (356.18 MB)
CD 2 (398.66 MB)
Covers (508.04 KB)
EAC - CUE - LOG - FLAC (separate) - SCANS
Posted by . at 11:58 AM